Rental Horses for Big Game Hunting in Colorado
Sombrero Ranch has horses for rent during all hunting seasons in Colorado.
Plan now for the next hunting season. Horses are available for all season.
Colorado: A Hunter’s Paradise
Colorado has long been a destination for hunters. Indians discovered that this area was rich in wildlife thousands of years ago; later, American settlers ventured into the Rocky Mountain wilderness to earn a living hunting, fishing and raising cattle. By the mid-1800s, Colorado had gained a reputation as a hunter’s paradise. Hunting expeditions continue these days with sportsmen coming from all over the country to experience the outstanding hunting opportunities that Colorado has to offer.
While deer, elk and antelope are plentiful, the rugged terrain offers a challenge. The use of horses enables your hunting party to travel deep into the wilderness in pursuit of game. You can pick up horses for your trip, or we will deliver them to you from the Boulder Ranch, Craig Ranch, Steamboat Stable, Meeker Stable on White River or Morapos Creek Campground. Horses can be rented with or without tack.
We’ve been supplying hunting horses for over 40 years; you can depend on us to provide horses that will allow you to enjoy a successful hunting experience in Colorado.
WILLIAMS FORK HUNT CAMPS:
We have 4 unique hunt camps in the Williams Fork region of the Routt National Forest. Click here to get all the details.
If you plan to hunt both deer and elk together, both animals must be hunted in the same combined season. Click here to get hunting season details.
|1-2 horses for one season||$ 575.00 per horse per season|
|3 or more horses for one season||$ 550.00 per horse per season|
|1-9 horses for multiple rifle seasons||$ 700.00 per horse|
|10 or more horses for multiple rifle seasons||$675 per horse|
|Horses for Archery/Muzzleloading + rifle season||$750 per horse|
All horses include tack if desired (Western saddle, bridle, halter, and two blankets); not included are special pack saddles, curry combs, grooming brushes, wide stirrups, rifle scabbards, saddle panniers or any extra tack. Feed will be available; however, expect to pay $15/bale and $15/bag for feed this year.
DELIVERY POLICY: Sombrero Ranches will deliver and pickup your horses one time, included in your price; any additional deliveries or pickups will be charged $50 per horse. This additional delivery/pickup or exchange fee will be deducted from your deposit. Horses delivered a distance greater than 50 miles from our nearest facility will be charged a delivery fee of $4 per mile. This is a one-way charge only. It is not possible for us to guarantee a delivery time before 11:00 a.m. If you want your horses before 11:00 a.m., you should order them for the previous day. If you are picking your horses up at one of our horse stables, you can get them anytime, just schedule a time with us when you reserve your horses.
DEPOSITS AND RENTAL CONDITIONS: A minimum reservation deposit of $300.00 is required; if you lease over 3 horses, the deposit is $100/horse. Any refundable deposits will be mailed after the hunting season (approximately the end of December). If you leave your horses unattended you automatically forfeit your deposit. Deposits will also be forfeited for cancellations less than 15 days prior to delivery date.
- Your horse requires 25 lbs of good hay each day in order to perform well. Please note that if you are hunting in a wilderness area, i.e., Flattops, you will need to purchase hay-alfalfa cubes because bringing in bales of hay is prohibited by government regulation. You will also need to give the horses additional water if using the cubes. Colorado now requires the use of Certified Weed Free Hay on all of its National Forest & BLM grounds.
- Your horse will require a total of three pounds (twice daily – morning and night); one in the morning and one at night.
- Horses must be watered at least twice per day whether used or not, and watered even more often if used.
- Horses must be unsaddled and unbridled every night.
- DO NOT run horses up hills.
- DO NOT pack over 200 pounds per horse. DO NOT try and pack out any antlers on our horses, there have been countless injuries to horses this way.
- Should your horse develop saddle sores, please refrain from any use until the sores have fully healed.
- DO NOT ride more than one person on a horse (2+ people).
- Upon receipt of your contract, we will provide detailed instructions for the care of your horse(s) by sending you a Wilderness Horse Travel Booklet.
HOW TO RESERVE YOUR HORSE(S):
To reserve your horses, we must receive a completed contract and deposit. All contracts are mailed by July. If you had rented from us in the previous year, you will automatically receive a contract; if you are new to renting with us or did not in the past year, you will need to contact us.
WE DO NOT HAVE A CREDIT CARD MACHINE, PLEASE MAKE CHECKS OR MONEY ORDERS PAYABLE TO SOMBRERO RANCHES.
Download a copy of the 2017 rental contract here. Need updated information on prices and policies?
Download a copy of the 2017 letter from Rex Walker here. The contract and letter are available in Adobe Portable Document Format (PDF format). In order to view PDF documents, you will need a PDF reader such as the FREE Adobe Acrobat reader available here.
ALL OR PART OF THIS OPERATION IS CONDUCTED ON PUBLIC LANDS UNDER SPECIAL PERMIT FROM THE U.S. BUREAU OF LAND MANAGEMENT. SOMBRERO IS PERMITTED ON THE ROUTT AND WHITE RIVER NATIONAL FORESTS. SOMBRERO RANCHES, INC., IS LICENSED (#0000217), BONDED AND INSURED. WE ARE AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY PROVIDER AND EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER.
Click here for more information on hunting: State of Colorado Parks and Wildlife Online Site
E-mail us at: [email protected]
For hunting inquiries please call the main office:
Sombrero Ranches, Inc. (Business Office Only)
911 Kimbark Street • Longmont, CO 80501
(303) 442-0258 • Fax: (303) 442-0380